Do you have furniture that just isn’t cutting it anymore? Maybe its old and tattered, or the pho-leather is flaking off; or maybe you’re replacing your bedroom suite with a new one. Whatever the reason, you probably just want that bulky dresser or two-piece sectional couch out of your life. Well, when it comes to removing your old furniture you have more options than you might think. In this article we are going to talk about those options and hopefully this will help you determine the fate of your old furniture!
#1 DONATE IT
If your furniture is still in good condition then instead of trashing it, why not donate to someone you know who is in need, or to some organization that will repurpose it? Odds are you probably know someone who would be more than happy to take your old couch or loveseat off your hands. You could also try donating it to Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, or Amvets.
- If you’re donating to Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity you will need to have your own way of transporting the furniture there. If you don’t have a truck then consider asking a friend who does have one. You can always rent one as well. Lowes and Home Depot have great hourly rates for truck rentals!
- If you’re donating to Amvets they will come and pick it up for you! Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that they will take the furniture. It must be in good condition.
#2 RESELL IT
For those of you who are more entrepreneurially minded there is a huge market for flipping furniture! Most furniture that people throw away can be resold. You might be surprised at the value of that dresser, sofa, or recliner. Even if they’re not in perfect condition they still hold value. There are lots of people who can’t afford to buy a $3,000 designer couch from Ethan Allen but will spring a few hundred dollars on a good used couch. And in this case, you can state that the buyer must remove the couch themselves. That way you don’t have to lift a finger and you’ve made some $$.
A few things to think about when reselling your old furniture:
- If it’s a couch, loveseat, recliner, or any other kind of fabric covered piece of furniture, to increase the value before listing, give it a good vacuum and check for stains. Not all stains are going to come out, especially with old couches and the like, but any improvement can make a noticeable difference in the final price of the sale. Here is my process for getting stains out of fabric:
- A great solution for getting stains out of fabric is warm water mixed with a few drops of some dish soap and white vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the stained area of the couch and wait about 1 minute.
- Agitate the area with a wet washcloth.
- Use a carpet extractor or a wet/dry shop vac to suck the solution and stain out of the fabric.
- Repeat this process until you feel that you’ve gotten it the best you can.
2. When listing the piece of furniture make sure you stage it the best you can. The better that it looks then the more money you’ll get.
Once you have finished gussying up your piece of furniture it’s time to list it. “But where?” you might ask. Here are a few apps/websites that are great for selling furniture:
- Varage sale
If you have a piece of furniture that is well built but the fabric is on its last legs consider having it restored! Disclaimer: this is not a cheap option. Perhaps you have a piece of furniture that has been in your family for a long time and has sentimental value. There are people out there who can restore your piece and make it look brand new! Typically the frames of well built pieces of furniture are fine. It’s the fabric and foam that is in need of a facelift. If you have a piece of furniture restored, what they’ll do is reupholster it, change out the foam inside the couch, loveseat, recliner etc. and refinish the wood. Like I said, this is not a cheap option but it is something that a lot of people may not have thought about.
#4 HIRE A JUNK REMOVAL SERVICE
If you just don’t have the time or energy to mess with the former options then hiring a professional junk removal service is probably your best bet. Here at Trashys Hauling and Junk Removal we specialize in all kinds of furniture removal. We either donate, repurpose, or resell any furniture that we remove unless it’s too far gone.
Just follow these steps to schedule your removal service!
- Click here to go to our estimate page.
- Either fill out the submission form or call our number for immediate assistance.
- Schedule a pickup with us.
- Watch, as we remove your furniture and/or other junk seamlessly while you sip a margarita or something!